Tuesday, January 13, 2009
2nd graders + a sub + a BYU-I Student who doesn't know what she's doing=disaster
For my Senior Practicum class we have to spend all day in an elementary school doing what the teachers are suppose to do (ex: teach lessons, run errands, make copies, plan lessons, etc.) twice a week. It so happens I am in a 2nd grade classroom all day Mondays and WEdnesdays at Ucon Elementary in Ucon, Idaho just a few minutes short of Idaho Falls and fortunatly I have a friend in the same school in the same grade so I have some support. So yesterday was our first day and the 8 of us who are at Ucon Elementary showed up at 8:15 am. As soon as we get there the principal tells us how excited she is that we are here and shows us to the classrooms we are supposed to be in and I shortly come to find Mrs. Ball (my cooperating teacher) is spending the week on a cruise and the class has Mrs. Wallace as a sub. My immediate thought was I am suppose to be learning from her and wondering why she didn't pay for me to go so we could talk about lessons and such while we are sipping virgin margiritas by the pool. She has subbed at the school for the last couple of years and I thought that she would know what she had to do as a sub. Boy was I wrong! The day quickly turned into caos and the kids were loud and rude and just out of control and now I know why my professors say to make lessons as detailed as possible for when you have subs. Luckily though the kids knew who she was and she could quickly get a good hold on the class and calm them down. Unluckily though throughout the whole day she kept on asking "what are we supposed to be doing now?" and "where are these work sheets?" like I was the smart person and was suppose to know where everything was. I think that bugged me more than being really confused as to what it was that I was supposed to be doing was the fact that she didn't come in a couple of days ahead of time to look at what it was that she was supposed to be teaching. She instead came in like 10 minutes before school started and didn't have things ready and was disorganized. So now I just rant about how everyone gets to teach something on wednesday and I get to go into a classroom full of zoo animals. Hopefully it's not like this when I student teach.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment