Tuesday, October 21, 2008
HELP!
I have to do a lesson on Holidays in Madagascar, Japan, and Ecuador for my social studies methods class and we start presenting on November 3rd. I have holidays and what they are about for Ecuador and Japan (and I have asked for Linda and Marios help on Ecuador to make sure I have my information right) but Madagascar seems to be kicking my butt. I have a description of what they do for Independence day and Christmas but the rest I can't seem to find. I have spent the last like hour and a half trying to find out how Madagascar people celebrate New Years day, Easter, Memorial day or Martyr's day, Labor Day, Assumption, National Day, Saint Vincent de Paul Day, All Saints Day, Boxing Day, and Aniversary of the Republic day. So if their is anyone in the family that knows how to surf the internet better than me and can find any information on these holidays please let me know!! It's urgent and I have to have them in the next like week or two!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I haven't had a chance to ask Mario about Ecuador yet but I can tell you what I know. I was there for christmas and new years. On Christmas Eve they have a nice meal and stay up until Midnight. At midnight it is officially Christmas so they open presents. Then they stay up until really late and dance. You could hear loud music coming from all over the place. Then everyone sleeps in really late Christmas Day because they were up all night. Christmas Day they don't really do anything special, we went to the beach and it was pretty crowded and all the shops and restraunts were open. Then for New Years it is more of a family holiday than here. You have a nice family dinner and then right before midnight we ate (actually THEY ate) fruit cake and hot chocolate. Then at midnight you light a Ano Vieja on fire. It is a paper mache doll that you fill with fire works and everyone lights them at midnight and there are bon fires and explosions all over the city. Lot's of people get hurt and it is insane! The Ano viejo's can be small or huge, they are usually characters like sponge bob, spider man, or whatever is popular. There are also a lot that are political figures, celebrities, etc. I brought a shrek one home and can send you a pic if you need it. Then at like 2am the parties start and people go dancing until sunup. Call me if you have more questions!
http://whychristmas.com/cultures/madagascar.shtml
this is all i could find, its how they celebrated it
How come you only made one post in October? We wanna hear more!!! See ya!!!
Post a Comment