Monday, August 9, 2010

Childhood memories brought back!

One of my favorite memories of Oma and Opa was when my family lived in Germany and Oma and Opa were there on their mission. I must have been about 7 or 8 years old. They lived in an apartment about half an hour away and we would go visit them all the time especially on Sundays. On these Sundays that we would go visit them we would go on walks by these farms that were not that far away from the apartment that they lived in. These farms had horses that were out all the time so they had fences to keep the horses on the property but they had holes that I could fit my hands and an apple through. On these farms they had apple trees and apples were everywhere on the ground. So Oma and Opa would pick these apples up and give them to me, Chris, Matthew and Jacob to feed to the horses. Michelle was to young. I think she was about a year or 2 at the time. I remember Oma telling my to stick my hand out flat and to keep my thumb as close to my hand as possible so the horse wouldn't think that it was something that it could eat and stick the apple right on top. It was so cool to watch the horses grab the apples out of our hands and eat the apple whole.

I thought of this story because Landi and I go on walks every Sunday. It's kind of our family tradition I guess you can call it. Anyways Landi and I get out of church at 2:30. We went home and ate some dinner/lunch, took a nap, and watch Big Brother. After Big Brother we decided to go on the walk we always took. Since the neighborhood that we live in is pretty old there are a couple of houses that have lots and lots of land that they use to grow apple trees, orange trees, and grapes as well as lots of other stuff. We walked by one of the houses and they had horses. The horses came over to us and we feed them some tall grass that was growing on the side of the fence that we were on. We continued our walk and as we continued our walk I told Landi about the story above. We also found this house that was for sale. We noticed that it was empty inside so we looked through the front windows. We also wanted to look at what the back looked like so we went to the side and were able to look at the back yard because it had a low fence. Some neighbors were outside and they said that we could look through the windows in the back if we wanted to becauase the people that owned the house were on a mission in Germany. So we went into the back yard and looked through the windows. It was a beautiful house. In the backyard they had an apple tree. So I told Landi we should get some apples and take them to the horses. And we did. It was so fun to take a memory from when I was 7 or 8 years old that happened half way around the world and share it with my husband. It was a lot of fun!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a great memory, good times. It is fun that you are creating some of your own with Landi.

Bob and Karen Lutz said...

Sounds awesome Jamie

The VanderHoeven time machine said...

I'm glad that u remember those times. I really enjoyed them.